Any Windows computer made in the last 10 years should be able to run modern applications like PhraseExpress:
- Windows 8 or 10 (32 and 64 bit)
- Approximately 100 MB free space on the hard disk plus space for your individual phrase data.
- The Outlook Add-In requires a local Microsoft Outlook 2010-2019 installation.
- Specific features (file export, Document Generator, phrase output to file, support for Microsoft Word formatted phrases) require a local Microsoft Word 2010-2019 installation.
- Microsoft Excel related macro functions require a local Microsoft Excel 2010-2019 installation.
PhraseExpress is also available for Apple macOS, iPhone/iPad and Google Android.
To install PhraseExpress on your Windows computer:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file "PhraseExpressSetup.exe" and follow the on-screen instructions.
- After installation, you should find the speech bubble in the task bar:
As Windows hides tray icons of new installed programs, click the triangle in the task bar and drag the PhraseExpress icon from the popup into the system tray to make it permanently visible:
- If you have purchased a license, register the license key.
The software installation requires administrative rights. If you cannot obtain elevated rights on your computer, consider copying the portable edition onto the hard drive. PhraseExpress can be launched in portable mode by starting it with the command-line parameter -portable.
MS Office AutoCorrect text replacements may interfere with PhraseExpress as both programs compete to replace spelling mistakes. We recommend to import your MS Word AutoCorrect entries into PhraseExpress.
To run PhraseExpress from a USB thumb drive:
- Download the Portable Edition.
- Extract the ZIP archive contents into any file directory on your portable device.
- Launch "PhraseExpress.exe" from the USB device.
- Copy any existing phrase file "phrases.pxp" onto the USB device and load it into PhraseExpress.
- If you have purchased a license key, register your USB thumb drive installation.
The portable mode is indicated in the PhraseExpress title bar. User and application data is stored into the program directory on the portable device. No data is written on the host computer.
Portable mode can be enforced by command-line parameter -portable.
The phrase file must be located on the same portable device.
Always shut down PhraseExpress before unplugging the USB drive to prevent data loss!
Upgrade an existing installation
To upgrade a stand-alone installation to a newer version:
- Backup your current phrases by exporting the phrase file.
- Download the latest PhraseExpress version.
- Install the new version over the current installation.
- If you have purchased a maintenance renewal, you need to replace the expired license key with the new license key.
If the new version does not automatically find the phrase file of the previous installation, load the phrase file manually.
Major new versions may update the phrase file structure to support new features. Older PhraseExpress versions will not be able to read such new phrase file format.
Bitte beachten Sie, dass sich Funktionen zwischen Hauptversionen ändern können. Vor allem größere Versionssprünge erfordern gegebenenfalls Anpassungen von Makroprogrammierungen.