20 years PhraseExpress - Major new version 16.1 out now!
PhraseExpress runs locally on your own computer. No personal text input is sent anywhere. You can even cut-off PhraseExpress from the internet if in doubt.
Any Windows computer made in the last 10 years should be able to run modern applications like PhraseExpress:
- Windows 10/11. It may work on discontinued Windows 7/8 but we do not monitor/test with discontinued OS.
- Approximately 200 MB free space on the hard disk plus space for your phrase data.
- The Outlook Add-In requires a local Microsoft Outlook installation.
- A selection of features (file export, Document Generator, phrase output to file, support for Microsoft Word formatted phrases) require a local Microsoft Word installation.
- Microsoft Word/Excel/Outlook related functions require a local Word/Excel/Outlook installation.
To install PhraseExpress on your Windows computer:
- Double-click the installation file "PhraseExpressSetup.exe" (download) and follow the on-screen instructions.
- After installation, you should find the PhraseExpress speech bubble icon in the task bar:
- If you have purchased a license, register the license key.
Windows hides tray icons of new installed programs by default. Click the triangle in the task bar and drag the PhraseExpress icon from the popup into the system tray to make it permanently visible:
The MS Office or Windows AutoCorrect feature may interfere with PhraseExpress as both programs compete to replace spelling mistakes. This may lead to double characters, such as "sspelling". We recommend to either disable AutoCorrect in Windows and Microsoft Office or to not use spelling corrections in PhraseExpress. You can import your MS Word AutoCorrect entries into PhraseExpress.
Installation without admin rights
PhraseExpress v16.1.3 (and later) can be installed without administration rights. You can select installation mode in the very beginning of the installation procedure:
If installing without admin rights, the optional Microsoft Outlook Add-In installation will not be available and the installer cannot install the Microsoft Native SQL Client for SQL server connections (you can still use ODBC 16/17 drivers).
(Legacy) method to install PhraseExpress without administration rights
If the regular installer is no option, you can use the PhraseExpress portable edtion to use the software without administration rights:
- Instead using the regular installation program, download the portable edition.
- The portable edition is a ZIP archive file. Extract its content anywhere on your hard drive.
- Launch the program from there.
Instead of installing PhraseExpress on your computer you can alternatively run it from a portable USB stick for use with any user account on any computer. The license key will be is tied to that USB device, not a specific user.
To run PhraseExpress from a USB thumb drive:
- Download the Portable Edition.
- Make sure that PhraseExpress is not installed/running on the host computer.
- Extract the ZIP archive contents into any file directory on your portable device.
- Launch "PhraseExpress.exe" from the USB device.
- Copy any existing phrase file "phrases.pxp" onto the USB device and load it into PhraseExpress.
- If you have purchased a license key, register your USB thumb drive installation.
The portable mode is indicated in the PhraseExpress title bar. User and application data must be stored into the program directory on the portable device. No data is written on the host computer.
Portable mode can be enforced by command-line parameter -portable.
The phrase file must be located on the same portable device.
The portable edition cannot be launched from a shared network drive.
Before registering the PhraseExpress installation on the portable device, make sure that no PhraseExpress installation exist on the host computer (otherwise you would register the installation on the computer).
Always shut down PhraseExpress before unplugging the USB drive to prevent data loss!
Limitations in portable mode
By design, PhraseExpress does not write any data onto the host computer in portable mode. Some features are not available in portable mode as they require writing data onto the computer:
- Phrase file sharing
- Outlook Add-In
- Document Generator
- Spell checking in PhraseExpress.
- Use with a SQL/PhraseExpress Server.
Moving to a portable installation
To move from a regular installation to a portable installation:
- Save your phrase file onto the desktop.
- Deregister the license keys from the current installation.
- Exit and uninstall the local PhraseExpress installation.
- Install PhraseExpress on the USB stick. Don't run PhraseExpress yet!
- Move the phrase file from the desktop to the program directory on the USB stick.
- Launch PhraseExpress from the USB stick and register the license key.
Switching from portable to installed software
To switch from portable use to an installed PhraseExpress:
- Run PhraseExpress from the portable drive.
- Export your phrase file with the default name "phrases.pexdb" onto the desktop.
- Deregister the license keys from portable installation.
- Exit PhraseExpress. You can then remove the PhraseExpress folder from the portable drive.
- Remove the portable device.
- Install PhraseExpress on your computer. IMPORTANT: Don't run PhraseExpress yet when being prompted at the end of the installation!
- Use the Windows Explorer to move the phrase file you just saved on the desktop to the default phrase file location (usually "%APPDATA%\PhraseExpress\phrases.pexdb")
- Launch PhraseExpress from computerand register the license key.
Switching from SQL to a local database
To switch from a SQL to a local phrase database:
- Launch the PhraseExpress client which is connected to a SQL server.
- Select the SQL node in the tree view and export the phrases into a local database file.
- Move the exported phrase file to the desired storage location. The recommended default path is "%appdata%\PhraseExpress".
- Click " " to load the phrase file you just exported.
- When being prompted opt to replace the loaded phrase file with the SQL phrase node.
Done! Your phrases are now being loaded from the local database instead from the SQL server.
Important: Launch the PhraseExpress client under a user account which grants you access to all phrases you wish to export!
Upgrade an existing installation
PhraseExpress v16 introduces a new phrase storage format and changed the way how to sync between computers. Learn more in our blog.
The old PXP phrase file format has retired. If you upgrade a stand-alone installation, PhraseExpress creates a copy of your loaded pxp files, converts it to the new database format and uses this new database. This should be a seamless procedure in regular setups. Keep the copy of your pxp phrase file!
To upgrade a stand-alone installation to a newer version:
- Backup your current phrases by exporting the phrase file.
- Download the latest PhraseExpress version.
- Install the new version over the current installation.
- If you have purchased a maintenance renewal, you need to replace the expired license key with the new license key.
If the new version does not automatically find the phrase file of the previous installation, load the phrase file manually.
Sharing phrases with a cloud service or with a NAS drive has significantly changed.
Please check the program version history for features and specifications changes. Especially larger version jumps may require macro programming adjustments. New versions may require an updated phrase file format to support new features. In such case, older version will not be able to load the phrase file.