Any Windows computer made in the last 10 years should be able to run modern applications like PhraseExpress:
- Windows 8 or 10 (32 and 64 bit)
- Approximately 100 MB free space on the hard disk plus space for your individual phrase data.
- The Outlook Add-In requires a local Microsoft Outlook 2010-2019 installation.
- A selection of features (file export, Document Generator, phrase output to file, support for Microsoft Word formatted phrases) require a local Microsoft Word 2012-2019 installation.
- Microsoft Excel related functions require a local Microsoft Excel 2012-2019 installation.
PhraseExpress is also available for Apple macOS and iPhone/iPad.
To install PhraseExpress on your Windows computer:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file "PhraseExpressSetup.exe" and follow the on-screen instructions.
- After installation, you should find the speech bubble in the task bar:
Windows hides tray icons of new installed programs by default. Click the triangle in the task bar and drag the PhraseExpress icon from the popup into the system tray to make it permanently visible:
- If you have purchased a license, register the license key.
The software installation requires administrative rights. If you cannot obtain elevated rights on your computer, consider copying the portable edition onto the hard drive.
The MS Office AutoCorrect feature may interfere with PhraseExpress as both programs compete to replace spelling mistakes. We recommend to import your MS Word AutoCorrect entries into PhraseExpress.
To run PhraseExpress from a USB thumb drive:
- Download the Portable Edition.
- Extract the ZIP archive contents into any file directory on your portable device.
- Launch "PhraseExpress.exe" from the USB device.
- Copy any existing phrase file "phrases.pxp" onto the USB device and load it into PhraseExpress.
- If you have purchased a license key, register your USB thumb drive installation.
The portable mode is indicated in the PhraseExpress title bar. User and application data is stored into the program directory on the portable device. No data is written on the host computer.
Portable mode can be enforced by command-line parameter -portable.
The phrase file must be located on the same portable device.
The portable edition cannot be launched from a shared network drive.
Always shut down PhraseExpress before unplugging the USB drive to prevent data loss!
Limitations in portable mode
By design, PhraseExpress does not write any data onto the host computer in portable mode. Some features are not available in portable mode as they require writing data onto the computer:
- Phrase file sharing
- Outlook Add-In
- Document Generator
- Spell checking in PhraseExpress
- Use with a SQL/PhraseExpress Server.
Upgrade an existing installation
To upgrade a stand-alone installation to a newer version:
- Backup your current phrases by exporting the phrase file.
- Download the latest PhraseExpress version.
- Install the new version over the current installation.
- If you have purchased a maintenance renewal, you need to replace the expired license key with the new license key.
If the new version does not automatically find the phrase file of the previous installation, load the phrase file manually.
Variables have been a deprecated feature in the earlier version. PhraseExpress v15 converts variables of earlier versions with regular phrases that hold the variable contents. All these variable replacement phrases are stored in a new folder "Variables". Variable placeholders in the phrase library are replaced with links to the phrases that replace the variable. Benefit: As the variables are now regular phrases, user access restrictions can be applied to the variable equivalents.
Major new versions may update the phrase file structure to support new features. Older PhraseExpress versions may not be able to read phrase files used by newer versions.
Features and specifications may change between major new versions. Especially larger version jumps may require macro programming adjustments.