To edit a phrase:
- Open the main program window.
- Select the phrase in the tree view on the left.
- Edit the phrase properties in the right window pane.
To create a new phrase in PhraseExpress:
- Open the main program window.
- Select the target phrase folder in the left tree view.
- Click the " " icon in the main menu (or press CTRL+N).
- Enter and configure the phrase on the right.
The phrase is saved to the phrase file/database if you close the main program window by clicking the X button in the upper right of the program window.
To save the phrase without closing the program window, select the main menu command "" or press the hotkey CTRL+S.
If using PhraseExpress with a SQL server, the pghrase is also saved by selecting any other phrase or a folder in the phrase tree.
PhraseExpress is not designed as a Outliner software or text archiving solution. Please keep a copy of your texts in the database/data-source of your choice.
If using PhraseExpress without an SQL server, avoid to store large and/or many bitmaps as those greatly increase the phrase file size. Please consider embedding bitmaps with a macro instea of copying the bitmap into a phrase. The max phrase file size is limited by a number of factors. The file can become corrupt if becoming too large. In such event, you can restore the last good phrase file from backup.
Phrases cannbot be created/edited in following situations:
- You do not have edit permissions.
- The phrase file is write-protected or you are using an cached file version because the file connection is offline. The status bar should provide additional informationen.
- The administrator has manually configured PhraseExpress to exclude edit rights.
If using the PhraseExpress/SQL server:
- Another user is editing the element.
- The PhraseExpress client is currently not connected to the PhraseExpress/SQL server and is using a temporary cache file that cannot be edited. You should find a notification in the status bar.
Phrases have following properties:
Theis used to identify the phrase in the phrase menu:
Use short and distinctive descriptions.
Descriptions should begin with the most distinctive text part as narrow phrase menus may not show the entire description. Drag the border to resize the phrase menu.
A hotkey (or "keyboard shortcut", "key combo", etc.) is a combination of multiple simultaneous keypresses to trigger phrases or to open phrase menus:
PhraseExpress can insert a phrase if you press its associated hotkey. For example, pressing CTRL+ALT+S can be assigned to insert your signature:
To assign a hotkey to a phrase:
- Under " ", click the desired combination of CTRL, ALT, WIN and/or SHIFT buttons.
- Click onto the little triangle next to the hotkey input box.
- Select the desired letter (or mouse button) from the popup menu. Alternatively, simply click into the input box and press the entire key combination.
Many two-key shortcuts are already reserved by other programs. PhraseExpress shows a warning symbol if a hotkey is likely to interfere. We recommend to use combinations of at least two of the CTRL, ALT,WIN, SHIFT keys plus an additional character.
A warning symbol is shown if the selected hotkey is likely to interfere with your regular typing.
As the number of available hotkeys is limited, you can re-use the same hotkey for multiple phrases. For example, you can assign the same hotkey CTRL+ALT+S to a variety of email signatures.
If you press such hotkey, PhraseExpress collects all phrases with the same hotkey and present them in a phrase menu:
You can then select the desired phrase.
Hotkeys for phrase folders
Hotkeys can also be assigned to a phrase folder to provide easy access to a very large number of phrases with a single keypress.
For example, you could use the hotkey CTRL+ALT+F to access a phrase folder holding all your finance related phrases. Another hotkey CTRL+ALT+P may show all product related phrases.
If you trigger a phrase folder by hotkey, PhraseExpress adds acommand at the bottom, allowing you to create new phrases in that specific folder.
Application example: To store a product related text in a product info phrase folder:
- Highlight the product information text.
- Press CTRL+ALT+P to open the product related phrase folder.
- Press the ArrowUp key to reach the bottom menu folder entry, which is the command.
- Press ENTER and finish creating the phrase.