PhraseExpress must be licensed for professional use and to disable license notifications for advanced features.
To use PhraseExpress for professional activities or with advanced features, you must purchase a license and register PhraseExpress in an one-time procedure.
If using a PhraseExpress Server, client licensing is managed centrally by the Client Manager of the PhraseExpress Server.
If using PhraseExpress with a SQL server, client licensing is managed centrally by the PhraseExpress SQL Client Manager.
To register a stand-alone installation (without using a server):
- Copy the entire license key (begins with "PEX…".) into the clipboard.
- Open the PhraseExpress main program window and select in the main menu.
- Paste the clipboard containing the license key into the license key input field.
- Press the Register button to register the license key.
After successful registration, the program window title changes to either "Standard", "Pro" or "Enterprise Edition" depending on your purchased license.
If PhraseExpress is installed on a computer, the license key is tied to your Windows user name. You can register the license on up to three Windows PCs on which you use the same Windows user name.
- If multiple persons share the same Windows user name, each person needs a separate license.
- Licenses of the Mac version cannot be used for the Windows version. A desktop version license does not include a license for iOS.
USB stick registration notes
- No PhraseExpress must be installed on the host PC if you want to register PhraseExpress running from a USB stick! Otherwise, the license key will be associated with the PhraseExpress installation on the host PC instead of the USB stick installation. If you have PhraseExpress installed on the host PC, please fully uninstall PhraseExpress from that computer if you wish to register PhraseExpress to the USB stick. Make sure to delete all settings as well when being prompted during the uninstallation sequence!
- After registering the USB stick, exit PhraseExpress to make sure, that PhraseExpress writes the registration information on the USB stick.
- In portable mode, the license key is not tied to your user name but to the USB hardware and you must not move the PhraseExpress program folder to any other USB stick without de-registering the license first.
About the user name
You can use the same license key on up to three computers on which you use the same Windows user name.
The user name is not your Microsoft account name.
To review the user name that PhraseExpress uses to identify an user, click "":
The user name shown in this dialog is the relevant name regarding the PhraseExpress license. It must be the same name on all three computers.
If you experience difficulties to register multiple computers with the same license key:
- Make sure, that all PhraseExpress client installations are up-to-date. Versions earlier than v13 have been licensed per computer name and not by the Windows user name.
- If you upgrade your installation from a PhraseExpress v10, 11 or 12, de-register your license key first!
- Make sure, that you use the identical Windows user name on all the three computers. This is an essential requirement. If you have the user name "Freddie" on one computer and the user name "Fred" on another computer, the user name really is different and you cannot use the same license key to register PhraseExpress. The user name must be identical because PhraseExpress cannot recognize otherwise, whether you are the same user.
If you use different user names on different computers, you would either need to change the user name or use separate license keys for each different user name.
Changing the user name
To change the Windows user name:
- Carefully read the warning below.
- Press the keyboard shortcut WIN + R .
- Enter "lusrmgr.msc" and confirm with OK.
- Open folder " ".
- Right-click your account in the list and select command " ".
- Rename the account as desired and restart the computer.
Renaming the user account may cause unforeseeable side effects. This instruction is a complimentary service and we do not warrant for any damage or malfunction which this procedure may cause. Consult the maker of your operating system, Microsoft, if you need any further assistance how to configure and use Windows.
To remove the license key association from a user name:
- Make sure to be logged in with the user name you have been logged in when you registered PhraseExpress.
- Open the PhraseExpress program window and click
- Check if the user name is shown you wish to remove the license key from.
- Select .
After successful deregistration, you can use the license key to register a PhraseExpress with another user name.
You must not continue to use a deregistered PhraseExpress installation for professional activities anymore.
The end of maintenance is encoded in the first set of four digits of the license key: For example, "0618" stands for a maintenance expiration in June, 2018. If you renew maintenance, you will receive a new license key and the old license key becomes invalid.
To renew maintenance for an existing, registered software installation:
To review the current license status and maintenance time left, select main program window:in the