PhraseExpress supports cloud file sync services, such as Dropbox, Google Drive or Apple iCloudDrive to sync a shared phrase file over the internet.
Syncing with iPhone/iPad requires iCloud Drive. Syncing with Android requires Google Drive. The Android App can sync with other Android devices and Windows PCs only.
You can also use a self-hosted cloud service, such as OwnCloud.
- You must use the same cloud service account on all computers! The cloud service account is not the same account used to log into the device!
- Online cloud synchronization services require some time to distribute the phrase file over the internet. Sync issues can occur if multiple users are editing the phrase file simultaneously while the cloud sync service is still busy distributing a file update. You can avoid such issues by restricting write permissions to only few or one single users.
- If you can predict, that many users will edit the phrase file simultaneously and if all users are working in the same network, consider using the PhraseExpress Server or SQL Server.
- Remote changes are detected on program launch and when saving local changes to the phrase file.
To sync with other Windows clients in the cloud:
- Install a cloud sync service such as DropBox, Google Drive, OwnCloud, etc, on all computers and use the same cloud service account on all computers.
- Open the main program window of the PhraseExpress client, that holds the phrase file you wish to share with others.
- In the phrase tree, highlight the root node of the phrase file, you wish to share in the cloud, click the menu command /Dropbox/phrases.pxp" as the destination. and select the cloud sync folder, e.g. "
- Close the PhraseExpress main program window and wait until the cloud service has distributed the phrase file to all computers. This can take a while.
- Open the PhraseExpress main program window on all other computers. PhraseExpress automatically detects the synchronized phrase file in the local cloud sync folder and prompts you to add the phrase file to your phrase library.
If auto-detection of cloud phrase files is disabled, use or manually load the phrase file from the cloud sync directory.
PhraseExpress will load the cloud phrase file as a separate phrase file and it is visible as a separate root node in the phrase tree view:
You can now copy or move phrases of your local phrase file into the cloud phrase file node and optionally unload the old phrase file to only use the cloud phrase file.
You may want to set a password to encrypt your phrase file to secure it against unauthorized access (only supported by PhraseExpress for Windows).
PhraseExpress for Windows can sync phrases with Apple Mac clients. Synchronization must be initiated by the Mac client as PhraseExpress for Windows can read phrase files of PhraseExpress for Mac (but not vice versa).
Due to different text formatting systems between Mac and Windows, phrases containing bitmaps cannot be synchronized.
The PhraseExpress for Mac version supports a subset of the macro functions available in the Windows version.
PhraseExpress for Windows can sync phrases with iPhone/iPad by using the cloud service "Apple iCloud Drive" (required). Other cloud sync services are not supported by the iOS App at this time.
Synchronization must be initiated by the Apple device as PhraseExpress for Windows can read iPhone/iPad phrases file (but not vice versa).
PhraseExpress for Windows can sync phrases with Android devices by using the cloud service "Google Drive" (required).
Synchronization must be initiated by the Android device as PhraseExpress for Windows can read Android phrase files (but not vice versa).