Generate phrases from database
PhraseExpress can generate a folder and fill it phrases based on the output of query of an external Microsoft Access/SQL/MySQL database.
This feature is targeted to advanced users with sufficient database management skills. If you do not know how to create a database query, please pass this feature and consider to import phrases from a CSV file.
To generate phrases from a database:
- Click the small triangle underneath the "
" button in the main menu and select " " from the drop-down menu:
- Select the database type and fill in the fields:
To dynamically link the data source with PhraseExpress, enable option "". PhraseExpress will query the database and update the phrases each time you restart the program.
Press OK to start the import.
PhraseExpress connects to the database, executes the query, creates a phrase folder and creates a phrase for each record of the specified query.
If you select ", the database is required each time you restart the PhraseExpress client. If the database is not available, PhraseExpress uses a cached version of the last known content.
To embed specific data from a database into a phrase, check out the macro to embed database data.
Reading from 3rd party databases require specific drivers:
- Microsoft Access: Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)" x86 ODBC driver (Download from Microsoft). To install the 32-bit version instead of 64-bit, use the command line parameter /passive.
- Microsoft SQL: Microsoft SQL NativeClient (Download)
- MySQL: LibMySQL.dll (Copy this file into the PhraseExpress program directory)
- Firebird SQL: Firebird SQL ODBC driver (Download)