To insert a phrase into a target application:
Use a trigger (hotkey, autotext) you have defined for the phrase:
Opening the phrase menu
To open the phrase menu…
- left-click the PhraseExpress task bar icon to show all phrases, beginning from the root level.
- press the customizable phrase menu hotkey ALT+SPACE.
- press the hotkey or enter the autotext, assigned to a phrase folder or multiple phrases.
- If AutoComplete is enabled, start typing a frequently used word/sentence.
To discard the menu, press ESC or click anywhere outside the phrase menu.
Finding the desired phrase
To find an item in the phrase menu…
- start typing any part of the description to narrow down the menu to items matching our text input.
- use the Arrow-Down/Up keys to select the next/previous item.
- press Page-Up/Down or the mouse scroll wheel to scroll through the menu in larger steps.
- press Home- or End to jump to the very first or very last item.
- press Arrow-Right-key to jump to and open the first subfolder. To return to the parent level, press Arrow-Left.
A tiny black triangle in the top/bottom right of the phrase menu indicates, if the menu is too small to fit all items into the menu window. Scroll up/down to reach contents outside the viewport.
To resize the phrase menu, pull its borders to the desired height and width.
Executing a phrase
To insert the selected phrase…
- Click the phrase.
- Press the customizable confirmation hotkey TAB.
- Press the optional "quick key" to directly select and execute a phrase, e.g. Num1+Num9.
- To insert a formatted phrase without formatting. SHIFT-click the phrase.
- CTRL-click a phrase to copy its content into to the clipboard (vs. pasting it into the target application). This helps to insert a phrase in case of application focus problems.
Right-click any item in the phrase menu for additional options:
- Insert text with or without formatting.
- Fill the clipboard with the selected text.
- Create a new email to the email address contained in the phrase.
- Open web browser if the phrase contains any URL.
- Open folder in Windows Explorer if the items contains any file path.
Positioning the menu
Phrase menus appear near the mouse or text cursor as configured in the program settings.
To show the menu at a static position, click and drag the title bar of a phrase menu that has been triggered by autotext or hotkey, to the desired position. PhraseExpress will ask you to remember this position:
To reset the static position, move the phrase menu again and select "No" when being prompted.