Features and specifications listed on our website pertain to PhraseExpress for Windows unless stated otherwise. The features of the PhraseExpress versions for iPhone/iPad and Apple Mac differ and are detailed on their respective product pages.
Phrase Organizer Functions
- Text snippets can be organized in a multi-level folder hierarchy.
- Phrases can be toggled between multiple languages, but the folder hierarchy remains consistent.
- Phrases can be triggered by…
- phrase menus
- floating desktop menus
- hotkey or autotext abbreviation
- at specific times, appearance of a specific application window or clipboard contents.
- The phrase menu offers access to snippets including their folder structure.
- Snippets can be inserted as RichText, HTML and with native Microsoft Word text formatting (requires local installation of Microsoft Word).
- Customizable background color for easy identification.
- Phrases can be restricted to specific programs and/or to individual users, workgroups or domains.
- Phrase links allows users to reuse phrases in multiple phrase folders/files without adding redundancy.
- Version history for each individual phrase including restore feature.
PhraseExpress seamlessly integrates 3rd party AI tools to provide advanced features:
- Phrases can be translated into several languages with DeepL
- OpenAI/ChatGPT integration to shorten, expand, rewrite existing phrases or to create new text templates.
- PhraseExpress provides OpenAI text processing in any application.
- Microsoft SQL server and Citrix/TerminalServer support.
- Free Client Manager software for central user, client configuration and license management.
- Simultaneous connections to multiple servers and phrase files.
- Server status e-mail notifications.
- Local data caching
- Accumulated clients usage statistics.
- Every user can optionally have their own personal phrase folder.
- Available for Microsoft Windows, iPhone/iPad and Apple Mac.
- Phrases can be synchronized between Windows, Mac or iOS.
Dynamic Phrase Contents
Static phrases can be enhanced with dynamic content:
- Manual text input
- Re-usable in multiple places within a phrase.
- Syntax checked (email, URL, numbers, letters, etc.).
- String functions to reformat user input (text replacement, stripping unnecessary characters, etc.).
- Input Forms
- Custom input forms collect user input and insert the input into placeholders within the text snippet.
- Forms can include text input, checkboxes, radio button groups, drop-downs, grid input and numeric sliders.
- Input can be enumerated with custom enumerators (e.g. "Porsche, Mercedes and Volkswagen").
- Date-/time stamp
- Custom formatting (e.g. "11/12/16", "Nov 12", "Monday", "23:34", "11:34pm", etc.) (Video demo).
- Date/time math (add or subtract years, months, days, workdays Mo-Fr or Mo-Sa, hours, minutes, seconds from current date and time or any given date).
- Time can be rounded to quarter/half hours.
- Date picker with a calendar dialog window.
- Calculation of the current Calendar Week or Day of the Year.
- Windows clipboard or clipboard history contents.
- Random number generator.
- Phrase randomization.
- External data:
- Result of external database queries
- Windows environment variables
- ActiveDirectory LDAP variables
- External text and bitmap files
- XML contents (XPath)
- Microsoft Excel spreadsheet queries and extraction of individual cells or range of cells.
The autocomplete feature detects repetitive phrases during your regular text input and suggests adding these frequently used phrases to your library.
- Auto-completion of single words or full sentences.
- Continuous optimization of the text suggestions based on user habits.
- Existing MS Word documents, or sent MS Outlook Emails can be analyzed to train the text suggestion feature.
Phrases can be triggered by entering text shortcuts
- Autotext abbreviations can be reused for multiple phrases. In such case, a multiple choice menu allows you to select the desired phrase.
- Autotexts can be automatically expanded or offered in a popup menu for optional insertion.
- Automatic letter case adaptation of phrase optionally depending on autotext input.
- Smart detection of unwanted text replacements.
- Support for RegEx autotext.
Spelling Correction features
PhraseExpress corrects typos in any application
- Auto-learning of personal spelling mistakes.
- Built-In multi-language spelling checker in the phrase editor.
Keeps the history of Windows clipboard contents.
- Quick access to earlier clipboard contents.
- Optionally strips text formatting when inserting clipboard contents.
- Contents can be inserted with or without text formatting on a case-by-case basis.
- Clipboard entries can easily be integrated into your text snippets collection.
- Context aware features (email address, file path or URL detection/extraction).
Macro functions to automate repetitive tasks
- Integration of the automation solution "Macro Recorder".
- Launch programs including definition of parameters and working directory.
- Loop function to repeat automation sequences.
- Branching with conditional statements ("if-then-else")
- Automatic email creation including file attachments.
- Open files or websites by hotkeys or autotext text abbreviations.
- Macro functions can be nested and linked.
- Application focus change to any Windows program with customizable windows appearance.
- Phrases can be triggered based on the current time or date.
- Automated change of the current keyboard language scheme.
- Keystroke simulation including special keys to automate tasks.
- Advanced string operations (trim strings, count chars, extract sub-string, etc.).
- Calculation of math formulas with customizable number output format.
- Message box and tray notification output.
Phrase contents can be edited with powerful editing features:
- Phrases can be sorted alphabetically, by text length or usage frequency.
- OpenAI integration for automated AI-powered text creation.
- Advanced input editor for nested macro functions.
- Descriptive variable tokens for increased phrase readability.
- Syntax highlighting and clickable macro functions, even if nested in other macros.
- Recycle bin feature to restore accidentally deleted phrases.
- Edit history allows to review/restore up to 100 earlier versions of any phrase.
- Bulk font type and size change in all phrases.
- Multi-line Search & Replace feature.
- Duplicate finder.
- Bulk editing features.
- Multi-language spelling checker.
- PhraseExpress can be used on any PC with a single license.
- Automatic detection, if PhraseExpress runs from a USB memory device.
- No data is stored on the guest computer in portable mode.
- Multiple users can access and share a common phrase file.
- The synchronization feature syncs and merges changes by multiple users into the common phrase file.
- PhraseExpress keeps a history of changes with a a rolling backup of the shared phrase file.
- Phrase files stored on a network drive and license keys are cached if the network is temporally disconnected.
- Cloud synchronization support allows to share phrases over the internet with popular cloud sync services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or self-hosted options, such as OwnCloud or Synology CloudSync.
PhraseExpress can import data from a wide array of different formats (requires local installation of Microsoft Office):
- DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, CSV, TXT, RTF, PNG, JPG files.
- MS Outlook emails.
- Microsoft Excel and CSV import including parsing of columns and rows.
- Line-by-line import to create separate phrases for each line of text.
Phrases can be exported in different formats (requires local installation of Microsoft Word):
- Plain text
- Rich Text formatting
- Microsoft Word format
- Email attachment with PhraseExpress phrase file
- Printable list of all phrases including autotext and hotkey definitions.
- "End-to-end" phrase file AES encryption.
- User interface can be restricted to prevent operating errors and to minimize user training.
- PhraseExpress is digitally signed to assure program integrity.