PhraseExpress supports regular NAS network shares or cloud file sync services, such as Dropbox, Google Drive or Apple iCloudDrive or a self-hosted cloud service, such as OwnCloud, to share your phrase file over the internet with PhraseExpress on Windows or Mac
Synchronization with iPhone/iPad requires iCloud Drive.
- If using a cloud service, all users must use the same cloud service account! The cloud service account is not the same account used to log into the device!
- Online cloud synchronization services require some time to distribute the phrase file changes over the internet. Sync issues can occur if multiple users are editing the phrase file simultaneously while the cloud sync service is still busy distributing a file update. You can avoid such issues by restricting write permissions to only few or one single users.
- If many users are editing phrases simultaneously, edit collisions and version conflicts may occur. In such case, you may want to consider using a SQL Server that prevent such edit collisions.
- Easy setup. No server hardware/software required.
- Ideal for home office or remote users (no permanent network connection necessary).
- Changes are synchronized manually on demand. For automatic updates, consider using a SQL server.
How it works
All users keep storing the phrases in the local phrase file.
One single user initiates the sharing setup by creating a central sync folder. This sync folder is the hub other users can join to send/receive changes to the shared phrase file. It works like a market place where all users exchange any edit change.
The sync folder can be located on a local network share (NAS) or any cloud sync folder.
The synchronization system drastically changed with release of PhraseExpress v5. If you were using an earlier version, you will need to reconfigure synchronization as decribed here.
Sharing a phrase file
To start sharing phrases with other users:
- Open the PhraseExpress program.
- Select " " and " ".
- Specify the location of the sync folder. This must be a location where all other users have access to, e.g. a network share or a cloud service sync folder.
PhraseExpress will copy your phrases and other files to the selected sync folder.
IMPORTANT: This initial setup needs to be done by one user only. All other users do not create a sync folder but rather join the sync folder as described below.
If using a cloud sync service, wait until the cloud service has distributed the sync file to all computers. This can take a while.
Individual phrase folders can be access restricted, so you can still have your personal phrases.
Loading shared phrases
One user must have created a sync folder first as described above. Other users can then connect to this sync folder:
- Open the main program window.
- Select " " and " "
- Select the sync folder on the network share or cloud sync directory.
The contents of your local phrase file will replaced with the contents of the shared phrase file. PhraseExpress offers you to merge your current phrase librabry into the shared phrase file. Access to your phrases will automatically be restricted so only you but no other can see your phrases.
Before you can sync, PhraseExpress must have connected to the synchronization folder as described above.
To update phrase changes:
- Open the PhraseExpress main program window.
- Click the main menu button " ".
PhraseExpress sends your changes to the central sync folder and apply changes made by others to your local phrase file.
If multiple users edit the same phrase simultaneously, PhraseExpress uses the latest edit version based on UTC ("universal time coordinated").
Why syncing manually?
- It enables you to create & test phrases locally without confusing other users with unfinished work. Only, if you are happy with the results you push the changes to the sync folder for others to download.
- Syncing and merging may require some heavy lifting on the local client. The app can be unresponsive while it analyzes and merges potentially a large number of changes with your local phrase file.
- Manual sync minimizes network load.
PhraseExpress maintains a list of all users connected to the central sync folder to monitor the distribution of editing changes.
To open the sync user list, click "".
You can remove abandoned users, e.g. colleagues who left the company without disconnecting the synchronization.
Removed users are not locked out of the sync but can show up in the list again if they perform a new sync.
PhraseExpress can sync phrases with iPhone/iPad by using the cloud service "Apple iCloud Drive". Other cloud sync services are not supported by the iOS App at this time.
Synchronization must be initiated by the iOS App as it creates a special App folder in the iCloud Drive sync folder.
The iOS App is given away free-of-charge. We kindly ask for your understanding that we are not able to provide any technical support for the iOS App. Support for a paid desktop edition is limited to the desktop edition. Please use the App as-is.