Schools and Kindergarten are shut down for several weeks in our region due to the Corona pandemic. To protect our staff and to enable them supporting their families, we temporarily switched to operating from home offices. This may cause delayed communication or limited availability for the time of public restrictions.
You can significantly help to manage the situation:
- For questions, how to use the software, please browse the documentation first.
- "99%" of inquiries we receive every day are really covered in the shop/licensing FAQ or technical FAQ.
- If possible, please prefer sending inquiries through the email form below over telephone calls.
Thank you for your understanding and patience. Take care!
Your Bartels Media Team
How may we assist you?
How do I prevent unwanted text replacements
To resolve unwanted text replacements:
- If you delete the text replacement with Backspaces, PhraseExpress will suppress the text replacement for the very next time you enter it's associated autotext abbreviation. This unwanted autotext detection can be configured in the program settings under " ".
- Alternatively, press & hold the SHIFT-key and click the PhraseExpress tray icon right after an unwanted text replacement occurred. PhraseExpress will open the edit window of the unwanted text replacement, allowing you to edit the autotext or hotkey association. You can also restrict the detection of the autotext to specific programs.
- Or, right-click the PhraseExpress task bar icon to get additional options to exclude that phrase or PhraseExpress in general from particular programs by unchecking the context menu option " ".
- Perhaps, it's not PhraseExpress, doing the text replacement: Exit PhraseExpress and repeat entering the text, that triggered the unwanted text replacement. PhraseExpress can't replace text if it is not running. If the text replacement still occurs, you would need to investigate which other application may cause the unwanted behavior (e.g. Microsoft Office AutoCorrect).
If you get an unwanted popup menu with text suggestions or phrases, you can right-click such entry in the popup menu to get options to prevent future suggestions.
You can define a custom hotkey to open the last executed phrase in the PhraseExpress settings in the program setttings under Settings » Hotkeys .
An imported phrase file is empty
If an imported phrase file has no contents:
- Check the phrase file size in Windows Explorer. If it shows 0 KB, it really may be empty. It either never had contents or the phrase file has been exported by user who had no read access permission.
- You may not have such read access permissions to the contents within the phrase file. Contact the user who exported the phrase file and let him add read permission to your user name.
- The contents may accidentally be deleted and reside in the recycle bin. Click the recycle bin to expand any content (if any).
E-mails marked in the inbox are deleted when an auto-text is entered.
If an e-mail is currently marked in your inbox and you press the Backspace key, the marked e-mail will be put into the mailbox recycle bin.
When entering an autotext, PhraseExpress also simulates pressing the delete key to remove the typed autotext and replace it with the desired text module.
Solution: Do not use autotexts that you type whily you have marked but not opened e-mails in your mail program.
The Client does not connect to the PhraseExpress Server
Following trouble-shooting tips should be able to help you if you experience connection issues:
- Make sure to use the latest software versions. The PhraseExpress clients must have the same major version number as the PhraseExpress server. Example: If you use PhraseExpress v14 clients, you also must use a PhraseExpress server v14. You cannot use a v12 Server with a v14 client for example.
- Make sure that the computer running the PhraseExpress server has a TCP/IP network connection to all computers running the PhraseExpress clients.
- Check any firewall or any other “security” program does not block PhraseExpress from accessing the network.
- Make sure to run the latest PhraseExpress server version.
- Check whether if PhraseExpress server service is running on the server PC: Open the Windows Management Console by right-clicking the "My Computer" desktop icon and select the popup menu item "Management". Switch to the list of Services and find the entry "PhraseExpress server" from the list. Make sure that the PhraseExpress server service is marked as "Running". If "Stopped", click on "Restart". If this fails, reboot your computer and try again.
- Launch the Client Manager and switch to the "Monitor" tab. Red-colored status text indicates a problem.
- If you ran out of available licenses purchase additional licenses or remove license key association if you wish to use a license for another user.
- Switch to Client Manager tab "Log" and have your IT administrator inspecting the log file to identify entries that could point to a problem.
- A green-colored exclamation mark in the task tray icon indicates a proper connection to the PhraseExpress server and everything should be fine. Hover the task tray icon for additional information.
- If the task tray icon contains a red-colored exclamation mark, the client is not connected to a PhraseExpress server and uses a local phrase file instead:
- Open the PhraseExpress client main program window, select and enable the option.
- Connect to a PhraseExpress server by selecting .
- If the client cannot automatically find the server, your network configuration may blocks UDP broadcast polls used for the automatic server search. In this case, enter the server PC's IP address manually.
- If the exclamation mark of the client task tray icon is missing, it lost network connection to the PhraseExpress Server and now uses a temporary copy of the network phrase file. Try to reconnect to the PhraseExpress server as explained above.
PhraseExpress supports formatted text and bitmaps in phrases. To turn an unformatted phrase into a formatted phrase, simply start apply formatting, like bold, italic, font changes.
How can I export my phrases?
How can I disable update notifications?
Like most software, PhraseExpress includes a software update check to inform you about newer versions.
Newer versions may include critical adjustments, that maybe required because of changes in the operating system or other software.
As updates may be required to prevent data loss, we are obliged by liability laws to inform you about software updates.
If you insist not to update your software at your own risk, you can disable the update check and notification feature in the PhraseExpress settings.
By disabling the update notification, you will not be notified about any critical update anymore.
We strongly recommend to keep your software up-to-date to maintain its operability with future OS updates.
What does the "Secure Input" notification mean?
The macOS system function "Secure Input" protects sensitive text input (such as password input) from being spied out by malicious programs.
This feature is activated by the program, that receives the text input and it has to be disabled by the same program after data entry. For example, the Safari browser is enabling "Secure Input" in password input fields.
Unfortunately, some applications do not to seem to release the "Secure Input" mode which makes any subsequent text input invisible for 3rd party apps, including ShareMouse.
This not an error in PhraseExpress and it has no way to remotely disable "Secure Input". If this would be possible, also malware would make use of such remote disabling, making the security feature "Secure Input" obsolete.
Work around: Disable "auto-submit" feature of any auto-login feature and/or close and restart the application, that caused the interference.
Slow program start?
With Windows 10 Update to 1903, the "ActiveProtection" feature of Acronis TrueImage software seem to start blocking mouse hooks. PhraseExpress uses such mouse hook to display phrase menus at the mouse pointer position, for example.
Solution: Consider disabling "ActiveProtection" in Acronis and consider contacting Acronis for a solution. We will not be able to circumvent interferences caused by a 3rd party application.