How may we assist you?
What is included in the purchase?
Your purchase includes the right to use the software, as well as updates and upgrades, which we publish within the maintenance period you have chosen.
A special feature of our offer is that it also includes all new major versions with new functions.
If you miss items in the phrase menu, please check following settings:
- The phrase may exist in a phrase menu but the menu may be to small. Press Arrow-Down or Page-Down to scroll through the menu or drag the menu window edges to resize it.
- Have you configured the item to be hidden from the phrase menu?
- Have you restricted the item to specific programs? In such case, the item is filtered from the phrase menu if necessary.
- Have access restrictions been applied to the item? Perhaps another user has withdrawn your read rights in the meantime?
- Check in the phrase tree view of the main program window, whether the phrase file/database containing the missing item is loaded at all. Use the search to find the element you are looking for.
Text insertion is scrambled
Please check the following if text is text inserted incompletely or with wrong characters:
- If the first few letters of a text insertion are doubled in any Office program (such as Word, Excel or Outlook), then most likely the AutoCorrect feature of MS Office is enabled and interferes with the AutoCorrect feature of PhraseExpress. We strongly recommend disabling the AutoCorrect function in MS Word. You can import your MS Word AutoCorrect entries into PhraseExpress for use in any application anyway.
- If text is inserted only partially or broken, then your computer perhaps is slower than PhraseExpress trying to insert the text. In such case, increase the paste delays.
- If scrambled text is inserted, please verify if a suitable keyboard language is enabled. Also make sure to use the clipboard paste method if using Asian languages.
- If inserting RTF- or Word formatted text, make sure that the computer has all required fonts installed that you have used in the phrase.
- If the insertion of any phrase into a target program still fails, try this workaround: Press and hold the CTRL -key while selecting the phrase from the popup menu. PhraseExpress will copy the phrase contents into the clipboard instead pasting it. You can then paste the phrase manually by using the clipboard.
- If the first character(s) of the autotext is not removed when inserting the phrase, most probably the auto-capitalization feature of the target application interferes and prevents PhraseExpress from fully removing the typed autotext before the phrase is inserted.
Workaround: Do not trigger phrases by autotext but by hotkey. For example, you could use the default PhraseExpress hotkey ALT + SPACE to trigger the general phrase menu. Then type the beginning of the description of the phrase you wish to insert and confirm with the confirmation key ( TAB by default).
Textformatting is wrong
Bitmaps and text formatting
Formatted phrases are a complex topic as multiple different factors are involved:
- The source program from which you create a phrase from.
- In case of a HTML source, the way, bitmaps are referenced (embedded, linked per URL or linked to a local file).
- The settings of the target program that receives the formatted phrase. Example Microsoft Word:
- The phrase format (Plain Text, RTF, Word) selected in PhraseExpress to store the phrase.
- Phrase formatting output settings as defined in the PhraseExpress settings.
Saving a formatted phrase
If you highlight a phrase in the source program and create a new phrase in PhraseExpress, the following happens:
- PhraseExpress triggers a "copy to clipboard" action with the highlighted text.
- The source program fills the clipboard with the text contents, eventually in multiple formatting variations (HTML, RTF, plain text and eventually custom formats, such as native Microsoft Word formatting).
- PhraseExpress analyses the clipboard and prefers to use RTF, if provided by the source program, as phrases are internally stored as RTF in PhraseExpress. If only HTML is available, PhraseExpress converts the HTML into RTF which may change text formatting appearance.
Avoid conversions from HTML to RTF by using a source applications that fill the clipboard with RTF.
- Microsoft Word fills the clipboard with native Word formatting, HTML, RTF and plain text.
- Microsoft Outlook sends RTF or HTML based on the email settings.
- Microsoft Wordpad provides RTF and plain text.
- Microsoft Notepad provides plain text only.
- Browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari, etc.) and the E-Mail client Thunderbird provides HTML and plain text.
Please contact the vendor of the source application for information about supported formats.
You may also consider to create the phrase directly with the built-in PhraseExpress editor.
PhraseExpress embeds bitmaps into formatted phrases, regardless if they are linked to a local file or URL in any HTML formatted phrase.
Inserting formatted phrases
PhraseExpress sends a formatted phrase to the clipboard in RTF, plain text and HTML, which is a dynamically generated version of the RTF contents.
The target app selects the preferred formatting variation. If the target application prefers HTML over RTF, the phrase appearance may change due to the RTF to HTML conversion.
PhraseExpress has no influence in the target application's formatting choice. However, you can configure PhraseExpress which format to use to output phrases ().
if choosing "", PhraseExpress outputs in plain text, RTF and HTML in all target application but Microsoft Office. In this case, no HTML is output as Microsoft Office, unfortunately, prefers HTML over RTF for unknown reasons.
Review the target program clipboard paste settings, if available. For example, Microsoft Word has detailed clipboard paste conversion settings.
Please note, that phrases with bitmaps cannot be synchronized between Windows and Mac due to different storage technologies of either operating system.
Is maintenance included in the license?
Yes, a license always includes maintenance for the selected maintenance term.
This ensures that you can always use the latest software. You cannot purchase a license without maintenance.
However, if maintenance is expired for your license, you can renew maintenance at discount.
When does the maintenance term start?
The maintenance term starts with the month of license key delivery.
License keys are dynamically generated at the time of purchase. The end of maintenance is branded into the license key and can be read that out from the first set of 4-digits, e.g. "0421" means April, 2021.
The clipboard is inserted instead of the phrase
- Depending on the text insertion settings, PhraseExpress may use the Windows clipboard as a vehicle to insert phrases into a target application.
As clipboard operations tend to lag, PhraseExpress waits a certain period of time allowing the clipboard to be filled with the phrase contents. If the default delay doesn't give the clipboard enough time, the clipboard insertion may be triggered too fast before the clipboard has been populated with the actual phrase. Solution: Increase the paste delays.
- Make sure that no other clipboard related software is accessing/blocking the clipboard. Close any other software in the background to isolate potential incompatibilities or interferences.
Can a license be transferred?
Yes, you can release a license association from a user, a computer or a USB stick at any time to use it on another device (or for another user).
I don't get any autocomplete text suggestions
- The autocomplete feature is disabled by default. You can enable the feature in PhraseExpress Settings » AutoSuggest.
- Sentences must be entered identically at least three times before they are considered by PhraseExpress for suggestion. Make sure, that you enter sentences without making typos to let PhraseExpress identify them as repetitive input.
- Sentences must have a certain minimum length to be suggested.
- Is the Text prediction feature configured to work in only specific applications?
- The AutoSuggest feature is generally disabled for Asian languages.
Phrases are inserted into the wrong program
Generally, text input is always received by the program window with active "input focus". Whenever the PhraseExpress phrase menu is triggered, the input focus switches away from the current program to PhraseExpress, enabling you to select the desired phrase. After phrase selection, the focus is switched back to the target program to paste the phrase.
If text is not inserted but you hear beeps or random actions on your desktop, the focus was not switched back to the intended target program.
Potential focus switch problems:
- 3rd party programs may accidentally step in between the very short moment of switching focus and pasting the phrase into the target program. Examples: Notification popups of 3rd party applications, transparent full-screen overlay windows or poorly programmed background tasks may "steal" the focus. This may cause the text insertion being redirected into "Nirvana".
Solution: Close any other software in the background to isolate potential incompatibilities or interferences.
- PhraseExpress may be too fast in pasting the text than Windows is able to switch the focus back to the target application, if the PC is slow or under heavy load.
Solution: Increase the PhraseExpress focus delay setting.
- By default, PhraseExpress relies on Windows to switch the focus back to the last known program before PhraseExpress had focus. You may try and enabling the option " to make PhraseExpress explicitly set the program focus. If this option was set, try and disable it for testing.
- Programs may get focus but the application does not set the input focus back to the input box it has before activating application fokus.
- Contact the maker of the application and ask for correction. It is out of our reach to change any such 3rd party application behavior.
- Add PhraseExpress keypress simulation macros to navigate back to the desired input box. E.g., TAB jumps from input box to input box.
General work around in case of focus issues:
- CTRL-click a phrase to copy the it into the clipboard, instead of the target application.
- Point the input cursor into the target application.
- Use CTRL+V to manually paste the clipboard contents.
Can licenses be cotermed?
Yes, we would be happy to coterm the maintenance term of your existing licenses with a new purchase.
You would purchasing new licenses together with a maintenance renewal of your existing licenses. Remaining maintenance of existing licenses are credited.
You will then receive a complete set of new license keys that have the same maintenance term.
You can also upgrade to a higher product edition at the same time.
What to do:
Please send us the list of your existing license keys, as well as the number and desired product variation (Standard, Pro, Enterprise Edition, NamedUser/ConcurrentUser) and the desired new maintenance period of 1, 3 or 5 years.
- Purchase of at least 10 new PhraseExpress Pro/Enterprise Edition licenses.
- The edition of the new licenses must be at least the same as the edition of the existing licenses.
- Existing licenses of varying product editions will be streamlined to a common product edition.
- The maintenance period must exceed the maintenance period of the existing licenses.
- Orders can only be placed directly, not in the online shop.
Phrase insertion deletes existing text
This can happen in text input boxes, when renaming a file or in some applications.
Background: When you select a phrase, the input focus moves away from the input box. When the input focus returns to the target app, some programs highlight the entire text of the input box.
Windows has the behavior to delete any highlighted text if you make any input and this is exactly what happens, if PhraseExpress wants to insert the text.
To test & replicate this phenomen without any influence by PhraseExpress:
- Place the cursor in the input box which already contains some text.
- Press ALT-TAB to switch focus to any other app.
- Press ALT-TAB again until the focus is back to the actual target application.
If the focus anywhere else in that program or if the text highlighted, then the text insertion issue is not PhraseExpress related.
Work around: Usually, such text highlighting goes away if you press the ArrowRight-key. Adding such keypress at the beginning of your phrase may solve the issue.