How may we assist you?
PhraseExpress doesn't work at all
- Check if PhraseExpress is actually running. The speech bubble program icon must be visible in the Windows system tray near the time and date info. If it is not running, click the Windows Start button » type "PhraseExpress" and press ENTER .
If you still don't see the task tray icon, Windows may hide it in a popup menu. Click the task bar triangle icon and drag the PhraseExpress icon onto the task bar for quick access:
- If the PhraseExpress tray icon is gray-colored, PhraseExpress is temporarily disabled (see chapter "Temporarily disable PhraseExpress").
- Make sure that no "security" program such "Antivirus/AntiSpyware"-software is blocking the keyboard hook of PhraseExpress. Such programs have become quite aggressive and may especially locking up browsers from receiving automated text input. Look for options called "keylogger protection" or "sandboxing".
- The PhraseExpress main program window must be minimized. Click the X button in the upper right of the program window to minimize the PhraseExpress program. If this fails, check, if any PhraseExpress dialog window is hidden under any other program window.
- If you have multiple PhraseExpress installations on different computers, try reproducing the issue on another computer. If it works on the other computer, it is very likely, that the configuration on the malfunctioning computer is the cause for the issue as PhraseExpress does not discriminate particular computers.
- To isolate incompatibility issues, close any program that may process keyboard input or the clipboard (other clipboard managers, autotext utilities or special multimedia keyboard drivers, e.g. AutoHotkey, Synergy, Microsoft Intellipoint or browser autocomplete or password filling addons/features).
- Reset the PhraseExpress configuration to system defaults to resolve any configuration mistakes.
Where can I find my license key?
If you cannot retrieve the license key delivery mail coming from "ShareIt/DigitalRiver" from your email inbox:
- Visit our ecommerce reseller webpage.
- Adjust the web page language in the upper left, if necessary.
- Click the button "My Account" and log into your account.
There you should find your license key information.
If you lost the login information as well, click the "Request Login/Password" link below the user/password input boxes.
Autotext does not work
- Does the desired phrase exist and is an autotext associated to the phrase?
- Does an unsuitable auto-text option prevent recognition?
- Text programs such as Microsoft Word may have an optional feature to automatically capitalize text at the beginning of a sentence. As a result, PhraseExpress cannot recognize autotext that starts with a lowercase letter, as it may be altered by the text program. Solution: Define another autotext in PhraseExpress that starts with uppercase letters or disable the uppercase automatic in the text program.
- Text input-aware applications detect keyboard input through a daisy-chain of "keyboard hooks". Poorly programmed applications may break this chain and programs later in the queue are cut off from the text input.
Solution: Close and restart PhraseExpress to re-arrange the chain of keyboard hooks. Alternatively, exit any other application, that may listen for keyboard input to check for interferences.
Is the PhraseExpress Server included?
Yes, we are happy to confirm, that the PhraseExpress Server and Client Manager is included in the purchase of client licenses. There is no extra cost.
Hotkey do not work
If a hotkey does not work as expected, please check if you accidentally removed the hotkey definition:
- Open the main program window.
- Click the magnifying glass above the phrase tree and in the popup, select to search for hotkeys.
- Click into the search text box and press the actual hotkey.
If no phrase shows up in the phrase, the hotkey is not associated to any phrase and you may need to assign the hotkey.
If you expect the hotkey to trigger action in a program other than PhraseExpress and if you find a phrase, you may want to remove/change the hotkey association.
Is the SQL Server included?
PhraseExpress supports connections to a Microsoft SQL Server but the SQL Server itself is not included.
Microsoft offers a free SQL Server Express Edition which can be used with PhraseExpress.
What happens after the end of maintenance?
Your software installation will continue to work. However, your license key no longer works for security-critical security updates and we recommend to renew the maintenance. Returning customers get discount.
Do you offer volume discounts?
PhraseExpress doesn't work with a particular program
- If using the Microsoft Edge browser, toggle the option " ".
- Phrases can be restricted to specific applications. Make sure, that the Autotext is not excluded from the application in which you are trying to use it.
- PhraseExpress cannot insert text into target programs which have been launched with Administrative privileges. In such case, launch PhraseExpress with Administrative privileges as well by right-clicking the PhraseExpress tray icon:
- Some target applications may have non-standard text input fields, that may prevent external text injection, e.g. programs with high security requirements such as banking software or password depository utilities. Please consult the maker of the program to check whether they intentionally blocked text insertion.
- PhraseExpress supports a variety of text insertion methods. Please experiment with the paste method settings.
- Insert the phrase in Windows Notepad or Wordpad. These programs are quite basic with any known interference and a good way to verify, if the target application causes the issue. If PhraseExpress works in Notepad/Wordpad but doesn't work in your target application, it is very likely, that a feature or behavior of the target application is causing the malfunction as PhraseExpress does not discriminate particular applications.
Are future updates free?
Yes, you get free service packs, updates, upgrades and all major new versions during the selected mainentance term.
After maintenance expiration, your license does not expire and you can continue to use the latest version, you were able to download during your valid maintenance term.
Please keep the installation files as we only provide the latest, current version.
PhraseExpress doesn't work in Microsoft Edge Browser
We are aware of incompatibility issues with Edge which seem to have been introduced by Microsoft with a recent Windows 10 "Creators" upgrade.
Work around: Disable Option in PhraseExpress.
Alternatively, consider using another browser like Chrome or FireFox.
All phrases are gone
Don't panic! It is very unlikely, that your phrases are gone - PhraseExpress does not have any function to delete your current phrase file.
Solution for local phrase files:
- Tell PhraseExpress the phrase file location by loading the phrase file. The default phrase file name is "phrases.pxp". The default phrase file path is described in manual chapter "Storage locations". Please note, that the default path changed beginning with PhraseExpress v13.
- Deleted phrases can be restored from the recycle bin.
- If the recycle bin is empty, try to restore an earlier phrase file from the backup.
- If option " " is disabled, experienced Windows users can manually restore a backup from the back repository.