How may we assist you?
PhraseExpress doesn't work at all
- Check if PhraseExpress is actually running. The speech bubble program icon must be visible in the Windows system tray near the time and date info. If it is not running, click the Windows Start button » type "PhraseExpress" and press ENTER .
If you still don't see the task tray icon, Windows may hide it in a popup menu. Click the task bar triangle icon and drag the PhraseExpress icon onto the task bar for quick access:
- If the PhraseExpress tray icon is gray-colored, PhraseExpress is temporarily disabled (see chapter "Temporarily disable PhraseExpress").
- Make sure that no "security" program such "Antivirus/AntiSpyware"-software is blocking the keyboard hook of PhraseExpress. Such programs have become quite aggressive and may especially locking up browsers from receiving automated text input. Look for options called "keylogger protection" or "sandboxing".
- The PhraseExpress main program window must be minimized. Click the X button in the upper right of the program window to minimize the PhraseExpress program. If this fails, check, if any PhraseExpress dialog window is hidden under any other program window.
- If you have multiple PhraseExpress installations on different computers, try reproducing the issue on another computer. If it works on the other computer, it is very likely, that the configuration on the malfunctioning computer is the cause for the issue as PhraseExpress does not discriminate particular computers.
- To isolate incompatibility issues, close any program that may process keyboard input or the clipboard (other clipboard managers, autotext utilities or special multimedia keyboard drivers, e.g. AutoHotkey, Synergy, Microsoft Intellipoint or browser autocomplete or password filling addons/features).
- Reset the PhraseExpress configuration to system defaults to resolve any configuration mistakes.
The Android App constantly requries to be enabled in accessibility settings
Please check the following tips:
- 3rd party "security" Apps and a selection of Android smartphones may have a feature to automatically remove background services for "security" reasons. Please refer to their documentation and whitelist in PhraseExpress the settings.
- The battery optimization feature introduced on Android 6.0 may interfere with PhraseExpress. try fixing the issue by setting PhraseExpress not to be "battery optimized".
- Depending on the device maker, the "battery saver" feature may disable accessibility service entirely.
Can I add graphics to my phrases?
Yes, PhraseExpress can store both, images and tables in phrases.
Image files can easily be dragged into the phrase content and resized with the mouse.
Does PhraseExpress have a spellchecker?
Yes, PhraseExpress includes a multilingual spelling checker. Unrecognized words are underlined in red as in Microsoft Word.
Autotext does not work
- Does the desired phrase exist and is an autotext associated to the phrase?
- Does an unsuitable auto-text option prevent recognition?
- Text input-aware applications detect keyboard input through a daisy-chain of "keyboard hooks". Poorly programmed applications may break this chain and programs later in the queue are cut off from the text input.
Solution: Close and restart PhraseExpress to re-arrange the chain of keyboard hooks. Alternatively, exit any other application, that may listen for keyboard input to check for interferences.
How do I sync phrases between the Android App and Windows?
The PhraseExpress Android App can sync phrases with the PhraseExpress version for Windows by using the Cloud Synchronization service "Google Drive".
Please find the easy step-by-step procedure in the Android App documentation.
Hotkey do not work
If a hotkey does not work as expected, please check if you accidentally removed the hotkey definition:
- Open the main program window.
- Click the magnifying glass above the phrase tree and in the popup, select to search for hotkeys.
- Click into the search text box and press the actual hotkey.
If no phrase shows up in the phrase, the hotkey is not associated to any phrase and you may need to assign the hotkey.
If you expect the hotkey to trigger action in a program other than PhraseExpress and if you find a phrase, you may want to remove/change the hotkey association.
How can I sync phrases between Android and iOS?
The Android App exclusively uses Google Drive to sync phrases between Android devices and Windows. The App for iPhone/iPad requires to use Apple iCloud Drive to sync phrases between iOS devices and Windows.
Therefore, you cannot sync between Android and iOS at this time. We are looking for a solution and will provide an update to overcome this solution if available.
Slow program start?
With Windows 10 Update to 1903, the "ActiveProtection" feature of Acronis TrueImage software seem to start blocking mouse hooks. PhraseExpress uses such mouse hook to display phrase menus at the mouse pointer position, for example.
Solution: Consider disabling "ActiveProtection" in Acronis and consider contacting Acronis for a solution. We will not be able to circumvent interferences caused by a 3rd party application.