Schools and Kindergarten are shut down for several weeks in our region due to the Corona pandemic. To protect our staff and to enable them supporting their families, we temporarily switched to operating from home offices. This may cause delayed communication or limited availability for the time of public restrictions.
You can significantly help to manage the situation:
- For questions, how to use the software, please browse the documentation first.
- "99%" of inquiries we receive every day are really covered in the shop/licensing FAQ or technical FAQ.
- If possible, please prefer sending inquiries through the email form below over telephone calls.
Thank you for your understanding and patience. Take care!
Your Bartels Media Team
How may we assist you?
Autotext does not work
- Does the desired phrase exist and is an autotext associated to the phrase?
- Does an unsuitable auto-text option prevent recognition?
- Text input-aware applications detect keyboard input through a daisy-chain of "keyboard hooks". Poorly programmed applications may break this chain and programs later in the queue are cut off from the text input.
Solution: Close and restart PhraseExpress to re-arrange the chain of keyboard hooks. Alternatively, exit any other application, that may listen for keyboard input to check for interferences.
Hotkey do not work
If a hotkey does not work as expected, please check if you accidentally removed the hotkey definition:
- Open the main program window.
- Click the magnifying glass above the phrase tree and in the popup, select to search for hotkeys.
- Click into the search text box and press the actual hotkey.
If no phrase shows up in the phrase, the hotkey is not associated to any phrase and you may need to assign the hotkey.
If you expect the hotkey to trigger action in a program other than PhraseExpress and if you find a phrase, you may want to remove/change the hotkey association.
What is the maximum length a phrase can be?
The maximum storable length should be sufficient for all practical cases.
There is certainly a theoretical maximum length that we have not yet been able to achieve in our tests, though.
Please try the free demo to find out if PhraseExpress is suitable for your tasks.
PhraseExpress doesn't work with a particular program
- If using the Microsoft Edge browser, toggle the option " ".
- Phrases can be restricted to specific applications. Make sure, that the Autotext is not excluded from the application in which you are trying to use it.
- PhraseExpress cannot insert text into target programs which have been launched with Administrative privileges. In such case, launch PhraseExpress with Administrative privileges as well by right-clicking the PhraseExpress tray icon:
- Some target applications may have non-standard text input fields, that may prevent external text injection, e.g. programs with high security requirements such as banking software or password depository utilities. Please consult the maker of the program to check whether they intentionally blocked text insertion.
- PhraseExpress supports a variety of text insertion methods. Please experiment with the paste method settings.
- Insert the phrase in Windows Notepad or Wordpad. These programs are quite basic with any known interference and a good way to verify, if the target application causes the issue. If PhraseExpress works in Notepad/Wordpad but doesn't work in your target application, it is very likely, that a feature or behavior of the target application is causing the malfunction as PhraseExpress does not discriminate particular applications.
PhraseExpress doesn't work in Microsoft Edge Browser
We are aware of incompatibility issues with Edge which seem to have been introduced by Microsoft with a recent Windows 10 "Creators" upgrade.
Work around: Disable Option in PhraseExpress.
Alternatively, consider using another browser like Chrome or FireFox.
Is PhraseExpress safe to use?
PhraseExpress is safe!
We are an established company with a track record of more than 20 years and registered in Germany, a country with one of the strictest privacy laws in the world.
PhraseExpress never sends any of your text input or saved phrases anywhere. Period.
You do not even need to trust our statement: You can lock PhraseExpress up in your firewall after license key registration.
Before you install any software, you might want to check, who you are about to trust:
- Verify the digital software certificate: Right-click the program installation file, select .
- Here is our business address and contact info and Google Maps info.
- Here is our company record in the public German trade register.
This information should help to gain confidence, that we are no fake company operating in the dark.
PhraseExpress and Security Software
PhraseExpress requires access to your keyboard input to provide the desired functions.
"Antivirus", "AntiMalware" software may inadvertedly interprete the "keyboard hook" which is used to detect keyboard input as a malicious "Keylogger" and block PhraseExpress from recognizing key strokes.
Check if your security software has a "keylogger protection" and consider switching it off or - if available - add PhraseExpress to a white list of authorized applications.
Report False Positives
If your "Security" program blocks PhraseExpress, we kindly ask you to report a false positive, allowing the maker to verify the situation and white-list PhraseExpress in their database:
|ZoneAlarm||See Kaspersky (Zone Alarm uses the same scanner engine)|
|SpyBot Search&Destroy||Submission form|
All phrases are gone
Don't panic! It is very unlikely, that your phrases are gone - PhraseExpress does not have any function to delete your current phrase file.
Solution for local phrase files:
- Tell PhraseExpress the phrase file location by loading the phrase file. The default phrase file name is "phrases.pxp". The default phrase file path is described in manual chapter "Storage locations". Please note, that the default path changed beginning with PhraseExpress v13.
- Deleted phrases can be restored from the recycle bin.
- If the recycle bin is empty, try to restore an earlier phrase file from the backup.
- If option " " is disabled, experienced Windows users can manually restore a backup from the back repository.
If you miss items in the phrase menu, please check following settings:
- The phrase may exist in a phrase menu but the menu may be to small. Press Arrow-Down or Page-Down to scroll through the menu or drag the menu window edges to resize it.
- Have you configured the item to be hidden from the phrase menu?
- Have you restricted the item to specific programs? In such case, the item is filtered from the phrase menu if necessary.
- Have access restrictions been applied to the item? Perhaps another user has withdrawn your read rights in the meantime?
- Check in the phrase tree view of the main program window, whether the phrase file/database containing the missing item is loaded at all. Use the search to find the element you are looking for.
Slow program start?
With Windows 10 Update to 1903, the "ActiveProtection" feature of Acronis TrueImage software seem to start blocking mouse hooks. PhraseExpress uses such mouse hook to display phrase menus at the mouse pointer position, for example.
Solution: Consider disabling "ActiveProtection" in Acronis and consider contacting Acronis for a solution. We will not be able to circumvent interferences caused by a 3rd party application.