The installation file includes the PhraseExpress Server and Client Manager:
- Download the PhraseExpress Server installation file (includes the Client Manager).
- Install the PhraseExpress Server on a central computer with network access to all clients. By default, the PhraseExpress Client Manager is installed with the PhraseExpress Server. You can opt to install the Client Manager on another computer (see important note below).
- If you have purchased licenses, register the license keys in the Client Manager.
We strongly recommend to run the PhraseExpress Client Manager and the PhraseExpress Server on the same computer. If you install the Client Manager on another computer, a NamedPipe network connection is required to computer, running the PhraseExpress Server. Make sure, that the user has access rights to NamedPipe connection to the PhraseExpress Server. Technical support for setups with separate installations of the PhraseExpress Client Manager and PhraseExpress Server is a paid service due to its potential complexity.
- Install the PhraseExpress client (download) on all workstations.
- The client sends UDP broadcast polls to find the PhraseExpress Server in the network.
- The client connects to the server and automatically switch from the local phrase file to the server phrase file (indicated with a green exclamation mark in the task tray icon).
- The clients do not require a local license registration.
If UDP is blocked in your network:
- Open the PhraseExpress client and choose
- manually enter the server computer IP address
Make sure to have the network function enabled in»
For automated client deploymentment you can specify the server IP address with the client command-line parameter /SERVER=IP address:port.
Clients can also be configured after installation with a custom configuration file:
Minimal client configuration file example:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xml> <pexconfig> <PhraseFile> <Data> <phrases> <min_ver>9.0.84</min_ver> <version>4.0.21</version> <file> <server>220.127.116.11:1026</server> <type>1</type> </file> </phrases> </Data> </PhraseFile> </pexconfig> </xml>
- Replace the sample IP address with the actual the server IP address/port and save this file as a plain text file named "config.xml".
- Exit all clients.
- Copy the custom configuration file to the Winodows common application data folder "C:\ProgramData\PhraseExpress\config.xml"
- Delete the client configuration file on all Windows user application data folders ("C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\PhraseExpress\config.xml"). Any PhraseExpress user settings will be deleted.
- Clients will automatically switch to the PhraseExpress Server on next client start.
- Grant PhraseExpress network access in the firewall configuration.
- Enable networking support in the PhraseExpress client settings, available under .
To upgrade an existing installation to a newer version:
- Backup your central phrase file. The file location is shown in the Client Manager, tab "phrase file".
- Uninstall the current PhraseExpress Server. All clients will automatically switch to a locally cached phrase file, allowing users to continue to use PhraseExpress (only phrase editing is disabled).
- Download and upgrade all clients to the new version.
- Download and install the new PhraseExpress Server. It will automatically load the phrase file of the previous version.
All clients must have the same version number as older versions will not be able to load phrase files, written by newer versions due to the different feature set.
Individual functions may change between major versions. Especially with larger version jumps, macro programming adjustments may be required.
Moving to a new computer
To move the PhraseExpress Server to a new central computer:
- Unregister the license keys from the current installation in the Client Manager.
- Copy the phrase file "phrases.pxp" from the old to the new computer, running the PhraseExpress Server.
- Install the PhraseExpress Server on the new computer.
- In the Client Manager of the new computer, set the copied phrase file in the "phrase file" tab.
- Register the license keys in the "License keys" tab of the Client Manager.
Switching from SQL server
To switch from using a SQL server to a PhraseExpress Server:
- In the PhraseExpress client, export your phrases from your SQL server phrase database into a phrase file. Make sure to use a user account with access rights to all phrases.
- Deregister any license key from the “PhraseExpress SQL Client Manager”.
- Uninstall the “PhraseExpress SQL Client Manager”.
- Install the PhraseExpress Server (see above).
- Connect all clients with the PhraseExpress Server.
- Use any client to import the exported phrases into the PhraseExpress Server phrase file node. Makre sure to have access permission to all phrases you wish to transfer.
- Use any client to unload the abandoned SQL phrase database root node in the phrase tree.
- Unload the SQL phrase/license database in the PhraseExpress.
If switching from using a SQL server, the phrase level feature is not available and user won't be able to edit phrases simultaneaously.