License keys tab
If you have purchased PhraseExpress licenses, you need to register the license keys in the PhraseExpress Client Manager.
To register license keys to the PhraseExpress Server:
- Launch the Client Manager and switch to tab " ".
- Copy the list of license keys into the Windows clipboard and paste it into the license input field.
- Make sure, that the Client Manager can access the internet and click the Update button to start the online validation procedure.
The license keys will be tied to the hardware of the PC running the PhraseExpress Server. You cannot register the same license keys for multiple PhraseExpress Server installations. Before registering licenses on another computer, deregister the licenses from the current installation first.
License key validation requires an internet connection during the short time of actual license authorization. After that, the internet access can be removed from PhraseExpress. The license keys will be tied to a Hardware ID derived from the server OS installation. Please contact us for offline-licensing options for 25+ licenses and site license options for 500+ licenses.
If using a Proxy Server, configure such proxy settings in tab "Server" of the Client Manager.
To remove license keys from the current PhraseExpress Server installation:
- Open the PhraseExpress Client Manager and switch to tab "License keys".
- Delete the license keys from the license key input box in the Client Manager, you wish to de-register.
- Click " ", to de-authorize the license keys on our license authorization server.
You can then use the license keys to register another PhraseExpress Server installation.
An internet connection is required for the short time of deregistration.
A user is identified by a customizable combination of following parameters:
A user is identified by its Windows user name.
Each user must use a unique user name that is used only once on the network. This method is not suitable if several users of the same name log on to the network or if users use the same user name.
In this setting, a user cannot log on to multiple computers at the same time because the assignment between the PhraseExpress Server and client would not be unique. In this case, select one of the following options...
A user is identified by the combination of the user name and the workgroup. This setting is suitable if there are multiple users with the same Windows user name but only in different workgroups.
If you log onto multiple computers simultaneously, you would need at separate license for each connection. Otherwise, you would need to log out from one session before logging in on another session. This is, because PhraseExpress cannot see if you are the same person (or different persons bypassing the license restriction by reusing a username).
Workgroup/Computer name/User Name
A user is identified by the combination of the workgroup, computer name and user name.
Before changing the user identification method, deregister the license keys first.
NamedUser vs ConcurrentUser
PhraseExpress is available in two licensing variations that you can choose during your purchase:
Each PhraseExpress user is permanently tied to a particular license key which is taken from the pool of available license keys with the first connection of the user client. The license <-> user association still applies, even if the user is not currently using the software.
This licensing type is recommended if a fixed number of permanent users are using PhraseExpress on a regular basis.
You can unbind a particular user from a license key in the Monitor tab of the Client Managers if the user is not currently connected with the PhraseExpress Server. The user is then displayed in grey color in the list of clients and you can right-click the user to unbind the license key association. The license key is then put back into the pool of available license keys for another user.
If you do not want particular user clients to occupy a license, please do not launch the PhraseExpress Client under that user accout (remove PhraseExpress from the Windows autostart of that user).
Each PhraseExpress user gets a temporary license key from the pool of available license keys for the time, the user is connected to the PhraseExpress Server. The license is automatically put back to the pool of available licenses if the user is disconnected from the PhraseExpress Server.
This licensing type is recommended for part-time workers in a company.
Limitations of the Concurrent User licensing:
- Named- vs. Concurrent User licenses can be mixed on the same PhraseExpress Server: Register the "Named User" license keys on the Client Manager first and launch the clients first which shall take these licenses. Then, register the Concurrent User licenses in the Client Manager which will be temporarily associated to floating users.
- PhraseExpress adds the string "_TS" (without "") to the computer name if installed within a TerminalServer session. This allows you to simultaneously use PhraseExpress within a TerminalServer session and on the host PC which runs the TerminalServer.
- Users without phrase file write access have no editing commands.
- Users without configuration persmissions have settings menu commands in the user interface.
- If multiple users have write access rights and if one user is currently editing a phrase, all other users temporarily have no access to functions to alter phrases until the editing process is finalized. If you wish to have simultaneous editing in the network, please check the SQL server option.
- Depending on the PhraseExpress Server configuration, phrase file changes may either be transmitted to all clients instantly or upon the next program launch on the workstation.